[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Reminder: CSML Seminar: Tong Zhang, Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 12:30pm-Computer Science Building, Room 105

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Wed Feb 10 10:25:14 EST 2016

Talk of interest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Tong Zhang-Rutgers University

CSML Seminar

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

12:30pm-1:30pm

Computer Science Building, Room 105

**Lunch will be provided**

*Title*: Statistical Thinking for Modern Big Data Optimization

*Abstract*: Many modern big-data machine learning problems encountered in
the industry involve optimization problems so large that traditional
methods are difficult to handle. The complex issues in solving these large
scale problems have stimulated fast development of a new set of
optimization techniques in recent years.

In particular, I will demonstrate my work in the past few years on novel
applications of statistical thinking to efficiently solve these large scale
optimization problems, including statistical sampling for optimization,
modern stochastic optimization algorithms, and large scale distributed
computing.

If you would like to be added to the CSML listserv, please email
capizzi at princeton.edu

Thanks,

Joseph D. Capizzi Jr.

Administrative Assistant to the Director

Center for Statistics and Machine Learning

Green Hall, 3-C-5

Princeton University

Princeton, NJ 08544

capizzi at princeton.edu