[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: [talks] Colloquium Speaker -Alp Kucukelbir, Columbia University, Tuesday, Feb 23

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Mon Feb 22 11:45:09 EST 2016

Talk of interest tomorrow.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Colloquium Speaker

Alp Kucukelbir, Columbia University

Tuesday, Feb 23 at 12:30

CS 105

Title*:* Towards Automated Machine Learning

Abstract*: *Machine learning is changing the way we do science. We want to
study large datasets to shed light onto natural processes. (How do proteins
function? How does the brain work?) To this end, we need tools to rapidly
and iteratively explore hidden patterns in data. However, using machine
learning to discover such patterns requires enormous effort and
cross-disciplinary expertise. My goal is to develop easy-to-use machine
learning tools that empower scientists to gain new insights from data. This
requires research in automated algorithms, scalable software, and robust
machine learning. These are the building blocks of effective machine
learning tools.

Speaker Bio*: *Alp is a postdoctoral research scientist at the Data Science
Institute and the department of Computer Science at Columbia University. He
works with David Blei on developing scalable and robust machine learning
tools. He collaborates with Andrew Gelman on the Stan probabilistic
programming system. Alp received his Ph.D. from Yale University, where he
was awarded the Becton prize for best thesis in engineering and applied
science. He holds a B.A.Sc. from the University of Toronto.

Mitra Kelly

Academic Secretary

Princeton University

Computer Science Dept

35 Olden Street

Princeton NJ 08540

mkelly at cs.princeton.edu

609-258-4562

To edit subscription settings or remove yourself, use this link: