[Ml-stat-talks] Informal lectures on Computational to Statistical Gaps (May 16)

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Tue May 9 11:04:09 EDT 2017

Dear all,
See below an announcement from our friends at Courant/NYU about informal
lectures on computational-statistical tradeoffs---one of the most
important new topics in mathematical statistics. Forwarding as some of you
may be interested to attend. Best, -- Ramon

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 09:28:55 -0400
From: Afonso S. Bandeira <bandeira at cims.nyu.edu>
Subject: Re: Afternoon of (informal) lectures on Computational to Statistical
     Gaps (Tuesday May 16th 1pm-4pm)

Hi all,

Tuesday next week we will have an afternoon of informal chalk talks on using
statistical physics (such as the replica method) to ``guess''
computational-to-statistical gaps; or, in other words, make predictions
about when certain inference problems, although statistically possible, are
conjectured/guessed to be computationally intractable (such as hidden
clique).

The idea is to do chalk talks showing the details.

Speakers: Myself, Amelia Perry (MIT), and Alex Wein (MIT)

When/where: Tuesday May 16th 1pm-4pm at WWH512 (Warren Weaver Hall, Courant
building, NYU)

Best,

Afonso

--
Afonso S. Bandeira
Department of Mathematics and Center for Data Science,