[Ml-stat-talks] Mathematical Statistics and Learning

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Tue May 9 11:44:29 EDT 2017

Dear all,

There is a long history of fruitful interplay between mathematics on the
one hand, and statistics and related fields on the other hand. However,
the current fashion in statistics has tended to somewhat de-emphasize
mathematical innovation as a driver of research in statistics and data
science, in spite of the fact that recent breakthroughs (for example, in
compressed sensing, or in community detection) were directly enabled by
and generated new mathematics. To provide a home for top-tier mathematical
contributions to statistics, machine learning, and data science, there is
a recent initiative to start a new journal in this area. The editorial
model for this journal is based on that of high-level math journals, and
it will be published by the European Mathematical Society.

I attach below the announcement provided by Gabor Lugosi and Shahar
Mendelson on behalf of the Editorial Board. The official website is here:
http://www.ems-ph.org/journals/journal.php?jrn=msl

We hope you will help make this effort a success by submitting
mathematical work of the highest quality in statistics and data science!

All the best, -- Ramon

MATHEMATICAL STATISTICS AND LEARNING (MSL)

The journal is devoted to research articles of the highest quality in all
aspects of Mathematical Statistics and Learning, including those studied
in traditional areas of Statistics and in Machine Learning as well as in
Theoretical Computer Science and Signal Processing. We believe that at
this point in time there is no venue for top level mathematical
publications in those areas, and our aim is to make the new journal such a
venue.

The journal’s Editorial Board consists of the Editors,

Luc Devroye (McGill),

Gabor Lugosi (UPF Barcelona),

Shahar Mendelson (Technion and ANU),

Elchanan Mossel (MIT),

Mike Steele (U. Pennsylvania),

Alexandre Tsybakov (ENSAE),

Roman Vershynin (U. Michigan),

and the Associate Editors,

Sebastien Bubeck (Microsoft Research),

Andrea Montanari (Stanford),

Jelani Nelson (Harvard),

Philippe Rigollet (MIT),

Sara van de Geer (ETH – Zurich),

Ramon van Handel (Princeton),

Rachel Ward (UT – Austin).

The success of the journal depends entirely on our community;  we need
your help and support in making it the success we believe it can be. We
therefore ask that you consider submitting to the journal results you
think are of a very high quality.

The first issue of the journal is scheduled to appear in early 2018.