[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: CSML and Computer Science Seminar-Yakir Reshef-Harvard University, Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 at 12:30pm

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Sun Sep 24 21:15:03 EDT 2017

Talk of interest on Tuesday.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

*Yakir Reshef-Harvard University*

*The Center for Statistics and Machine Learning and the Department of
Computer Science Seminar*

*Tuesday, September 26th, 2017*

*12:30pm-1:30pm*

*26 Prospect Avenue (former BCF building), Room 103*

**Lunch will be provided**

*Title:* Detecting global effects of transcription factors on polygenic
disease risk

*Abstract:* Learning biology using data from genome-wide association
studies (GWAS) frequently involves identifying genomic regions involved in
some biological process and assessing whether those regions are important
for the genetics of a trait of interest. But in some cases, improving
models and growing data sets allow us to estimate not just whether genomic
regions are important for a biological process, but whether genetic
variants in those regions promote or hinder that process. I'll present a
new method for combining this type of information with GWAS data to draw
strong inferences about trait mechanism. I'll then describe how this method
can be applied in conjunction with signed genomic annotations reflecting
binding of ~100 transcription factors generated using a sequence-based
convolutional neural network predictor of transcription factor binding.
Finally, I'll describe results from applying our method to GWAS data about
a range of traits including gene expression, epigenetic traits, and several
diseases.

*Yakir Reshef* is an MD/PhD student at Harvard Medical School and the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He did his PhD in computer science
at Harvard University, advised by Ryan Adams
<http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~rpa/>. He works on developing
statistical-genetic methods for understanding disease mechanisms and
mechanisms of regulation in the cell. His PhD work was supported by the PD
Soros foundation <https://www.pdsoros.org/> and the National Defense
Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) fellowship
<https://ndseg.asee.org/>. In 2011, he did a Fulbright scholarship
<http://fulbright.state.gov/> in the Department of Applied Math and
Computer Science at the Weizmann Institute of Science
<http://www.weizmann.ac.il/>. In 2009, he graduated from Harvard College
<http://www.college.harvard.edu/> with a BA in mathematics.