[parsec-users] Scalability of PARSEC benchmarks ?

Tue Apr 1 12:42:25 EDT 2008

Hello Roberto,

How well the PARSEC workloads scale in practice depends on the machine. All
programs scale well to a large number of cores if their requirements are met.
In practice (or if you simulate a realistic machine) you will frequently hit
memory bandwidth limitations soon.

If you only care about good scalability start with programs that have small
working sets first. Depending on your architecture intense communication
between threads can consume a lot of memory bandwidth, too. The commercial
workloads which use the pipeline model tend to be tougher on the machine in
that sense.

The more your workloads have those two properties (large working sets &
intense communication) the more challenging it will be to achieve good
speedups. Have a look at the characterization to get an impression of the
requirements of PARSEC programs.

- Chris