[parsec-users] hooks and magic instruction

Wed Apr 23 13:06:28 EDT 2008

Hello Huan,

The hooks are technically just function calls which we added to all workloads
at predefined locations. By default these function calls do nothing more than
simply measuring the time spent in the ROI (Region of Interest) which we
defined for each workload and allowing thread affinity control via
environment variables on Linux. The ROI includes everything except
initialization and cleanup. We provide the build configuration 'gcc-hooks'
which enables the hooks by default. Have a look at file
$PARSECDIR/config/gcc-hooks.bldconf to see how to do that.

You can use the hooks to conveniently insert code into all workloads by adding
it to the correct functions in file hooks.c in the hooks package and
rebuilding the benchmark suite. You can use this e.g. to insert magic
instructions which are recognized by your simulator. In fact, we already did
do that for Simics, but it is disabled by default. The only documentation
which we currently provide are the comments in hooks.h. Have a look there to
see how workloads call the hook functions.

- Chris