[parsec-users] speed-up of parsec

Qingyuan Deng ddqqyy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:54:45 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your points. That makes sense!

Yes the main threads in Canneal keep idle during the ROI, but in Bodytrack,
there are plenty of interactions between main threads and worker threads
during that phase, which makes the caculation more interesting. I have got
the instruction counts for all the threads(main and workers) collected by
Pin. But I am a little confused here for how to do the math. I am thinking
if the execution time of main thread can be hided by those workers, so we
still don't need to consider the execution time of main thread in this case?
May I know your method of doing this?

And in addition, could you please also give me a hint of your method to
calculate the speed-ups of pipelined benchmark, since I think the
instruction counts differ from thread groups of different stages. So I am
wondering the longest stage can hide the execution time of shorter stages,
but there are still an "initialized" latency between neighbor stages, so the
execution time can be calculated as the sum of single execution time of a
thread in each stage?

Thank you!

Have a nice weekend,
Qingyuan