[parsec-users] parsec on sparc patch (except ferret, facesim and vips)

Chris Fensch cf309 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 11:18:25 EDT 2008

Hi all,

   I compiled a patch that hopefully should allow you to compile parsec on
a Sparc/Solaris 10 box. A few notes on my build environment: Solaris 10
5/08, gcc 4.2.3, and binutils 2.18. binutils 2.15 that ships with Solaris
10 have a funny version of AS, that refuses to compile perfectly legal
opcodes and I think there was also an ld issue. The patch is configured to
use parsec hooks with simics magic instructions.

You can get the patch from:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~cf309/parsec_sparc.patch.bz2

A few notes on the patch. I added a global definition BIG_ENDIAN_MACHINE
to trigger endianess swap in affected benchmarks. No effort has been made
to bind a thread to a particular CPU. As for dedup, the output is saved in
big endian and as such different from output computed on an x86 box. The
patch adds a configuration gcc-sparc, so you can use parsecmgmt to compile
the benchmarks as usual.

As for the remaining benchmarks, I have vips and facesim running. But...

vips produces output that is too different to say that it is just an
endianess issue.

facesim runs only if I use a really nasty hack. I don't feel comfortable
of releasing this to public.

as for ferret, I am still at a complete loss. It compiles, but then just
hangs...

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Cheers