[parsec-users] parallel execution of facesim

Wed Jul 23 14:09:03 EDT 2008

Hi JiaQi,

There are two ways to tell facesim how many threads to use: The '-thread N'
argument which you pass to the binary as well as the PHYSBAM_THREADS
environment variable. I'm not quite sure why you get 128 threads, using the
'-thread N' argument should do the job.

- Chris

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Qingyuan
Deng
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:14 AM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: Re: [parsec-users] parallel execution of facesim

Hi Chris,
I am trying to specify the thread number of facesim, is that by spesifying
"facesim -thread  n" ? I  change the n value but always got 128 threads
running...
Regards,
Qingyuan

2008/7/22 Christian Bienia <cbienia at cs.princeton.edu>:

Hello JiaQi,

PHYSBAM_THREADS is the environment variable that controls how many threads
get used. Alternatively, you can also use the corresponding command line
flag. If you look in the initialization code of the benchmark you will see
that it also sets the environment variables.

I'm not sure what USE_REDUCTION_ROUTINES was used for. The PhysBAM library
that ships with PARSEC is just a small fraction of the full version (only
what is needed by facesim). The corresponding code has probably been
removed, and since it crashes if you enable it I recommend you leave it as
it is. :-)