[parsec-users] fluidanimate questions

Fri Jul 25 16:26:50 EDT 2008

Hi Mark,

We are not aware of any bugs in fluidanimate, but of course that doesn't
mean that there aren't any. J If you want to double-check you could run the
program in a debugger and check if and when the data gets updated.

- Chris

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Hampton,
Mark
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 1:26 PM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: Re: [parsec-users] fluidanimate questions

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the answers.  Your comment about the spatial indexing structure
made me realize that I was glossing over that description in the tech
report, so I'm clearer about the distinction between the two arrays.
However, I still think there might be a bug in the code, although maybe I'm
just not quite comprehending everything.  If I understand the benchmark
correctly, the cells2[] array should correspond to the "normal" data
structure to store all the particles, while the cells[] array should
correspond to the spatial indexing structure used when performing the
computations to limit the number of particles which have to be processed.
You mentioned that the spatial indexing structure has to be rebuilt every
time the particles move-I can see that this takes place in the RebuildGrid()
function.  I assume that the normal structure would also need to be updated
every time the particles move, and that should take place at the end of
processing each frame.  However, AdvanceParticles() only updates the spatial
indexing structure-the normal structure cells2[] is not updated, and in fact
is never updated at all anywhere in the file after being initialized in
InitSim().  For verification, I compiled the serial version of the code and
ran it on the same input with differing numbers of frames.  Each time, the
exact same output file was produced, which seems to me to be incorrect
unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of a frame.  Thanks.

Mark

  _____