[parsec-users] Questions of running "streamcluster"

Wed Jul 30 15:54:36 EDT 2008

Hi Guangyu,

If you specify N threads then streamcluster will use exactly N worker
threads. The operating system should balance that properly, the program will
make use of up to N CPUs.

If you want to run a program which might spawn more than N worker threads,
you can use thread affinity functions of the OS to determine how many CPUs
to use (if you want to use fewer than are actually available). This is only
a problem if you want to run with fewer CPUs than are installed. The PARSEC
Hooks API automatically inserts extra functionality into each program on
Linux which allows you to control which CPUs to use by setting environment
variables. Look at the tutorial or the source code for more details.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of GUANGYU
SUN
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:19 PM
To: parsec-users at lists.cs.princeton.edu
Subject: [parsec-users] Questions of running "streamcluster"

Hi All,

I would like to run streamcluster with 8 threads on Solaris with the
following
command
"./streamcluster 10 20 128 1000000 200000 5000 none output.txt 8".
I think the last number "8" specify the eight threads. However, according to
the tutorial, the actual number of thread could be larger. Then, how could I
make it fixed?

I think this benchmark use pthread programming. If I have running this
program
with 8 threads on a eight core processor, how could I make sure there is one
thread running on each core? Or it is controlled by OS?

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Guangyu