[parsec-users] Simulation metrics

Sun Mar 9 15:15:54 EDT 2008

Hello Huan,

PARSEC itself is just the program collection. It is independent from any
metrics, so you can monitor everything that your processor / simulator
supports. If you want to add instrumentation source code, you should first
consider adding it to the PARSEC hooks (that's why they're there). The hooks
allow you to write instrumentation code only ONCE and it will automatically
be used by ALL PARSEC programs at the designated code locations.

The hooks are special function calls that are made by all PARSEC programs at
the defined locations. You can find the hook library and some basic
documentation in the package "hooks" in the "libs" group. After you modified
the package simply add your code and rebuild PARSEC. Your build configuration
must explicitly enable the hooks, we provide one configuration which does
that by default.

- Chris