[parsec-users] problems with facesim and Vips benchmark

jcupitt at gmail.com jcupitt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 03:55:32 EDT 2008

On 26/03/2008, Christian Bienia <cbienia at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:
>  > > 1. Vips uses a format "*.v" for reading an input image, what application
>  > > i can open this image in?
>  >
>  > That's the file format of vips. I don't know of any other programs which
>  > support it. You can use vips to convert other images e.g. in jpeg format to
>  > its .v format and back. You can find the vips documentation here:
>  > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk
>

> I can give you the script which I used to create the PARSEC inputs. You must
>  compile it with support for the input file format enabled (e.g. jpeg). By
>  default PARSEC disables everything that is not needed to run the benchmark.

vips has it's own ppm writer, so that's always there at least. You could try:

  vips im_LabQ2ppm somefile.v file.ppm sRGB

to get an sRGB ppm file. Also, vips is probably available packaged for
your linux. Try something like

  apt-get install nip2

Then you can just enter:

  nip2 somefile.v

to view.

There's a page on the vips website about the benchmark, if you're
interested in the background:

  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Benchmarks

John