[parsec-users] breakpoint in parsecmgmt

Sat May 3 13:47:21 EDT 2008

Hi Huan,

There are multiple ways to do that. First of all, you don't need parsecmgmt
to run the benchmarks. If you feel the script takes too much time you can
also manually setup the run directory and execute the benchmark yourself.
This way you would avoid all the checks and reinitialization work that
parsecmgmt has to do before every run. The best position for a breakpoint is
just before the ROI (Region of Interest). You can use the PARSEC hooks for
that. You would also skip the initialization of the workload and would break
just before the parallel phase begins. We also added support for Simics
magic instructions, but it is disabled by default. Go to the hooks package
and edit config.h to enable it. You will also find some description of the
hooks API in that directory.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Huan Fang
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2008 10:38 AM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: [parsec-users] breakpoint in parsecmgmt

Hi all,

After some simulations with Simics, I found the initilization part of
'parsecmgmt' is time consuming. So, I am thinking if we can add an
breakpoint just before executing the benchmark.
For example:

[PARSEC] [========== Running benchmark blackscholes ==========]
[PARSEC] Deleting old run directory.
[PARSEC] Setting up run directory.
[PARSEC] No archive for input 'test' available, skipping input setup.

breakpoint...

[PARSEC] Running 'time
/parsec-1.0/bin/../pkgs/apps/blackscholes/inst/i686-linux.gcc-hooks/bin/blac
kscholes
4 1'

The breakpoint can be SIMICS_MAGIC_INSTRUCTION or something like that we
can initilize ruby in simics.

Thanks.
Huan