[parsec-users] breakpoint in parsecmgmt

Huan Fang huanf at kth.se
Sat May 3 17:29:27 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

I know there is a breakpoint with magic instruction just before ROI.That's
the place I can gather some useful information.But we want another
breakpoint just at the beginning of benchmark where rudy can start.
I can run blackscholes manually at its own directory.But for other
programs,parsecmgmt is needed to unpack some packages like 'simsmall' as
the input to the programs, right?
Maybe we can add an hook at the first line in the main function? or there
is other solutions to insert some code in the parsecmgmt script?

Regards,
Huan
> Hi Huan,
>
> There are multiple ways to do that. First of all, you don't need
> parsecmgmt
> to run the benchmarks. If you feel the script takes too much time you can
> also manually setup the run directory and execute the benchmark yourself.
> This way you would avoid all the checks and reinitialization work that
> parsecmgmt has to do before every run. The best position for a breakpoint
> is
> just before the ROI (Region of Interest). You can use the PARSEC hooks for
> that. You would also skip the initialization of the workload and would
> break
> just before the parallel phase begins. We also added support for Simics
> magic instructions, but it is disabled by default. Go to the hooks package
> and edit config.h to enable it. You will also find some description of the
> hooks API in that directory.
>
> - Chris

MSc. System-on-Chip Design
Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden
Homepage: http://www.isk.kth.se/~huanf