[parsec-users] PARSEC on Simics

jlira at ac.upc.edu jlira at ac.upc.edu
Thu Sep 11 14:15:32 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I use Simics+GEMS for simulating PARSEC workloads, and I am facing some
unrealistic results on some of them. The key thing is that I am unable to run
the whole program, so I simulate a part of each of them.

I start my simulations on the beginning of the ROI and execute a piece of 100M
of instructions. Although some of the workloads give excellent results
(blackscholes, canneal, dedup and swaptions), there are other in which the
number of instructions executed in user mode are ridiculous (I guess because
some kind of synchronization in the program) (bodytrack, facesim, fluidanimate,
freqmine, streamcluster and x264). Thus, resulting statistics can not be
realistic because no program code have been executed.

I suppose that some of you use Simics or Simic+GEMS like me, and may help me
sharing your expirience on that simulators executing the "problematic"
workloads. I also accept advises about methodology that can help me on this
stuff.

Many thanks to all in advance for your help,

Javier Lira