[parsec-users] Running PARSEC on Simics - GLIBC not found

Thu Aug 13 15:48:41 EDT 2009

Vivek,

You get the error because the PARSEC binaries were linked to a different
version of the GNU C library than the one installed on your Simics system
(http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/). The C library is a fundamental library
on all Unix systems that implements very basic functionality used by all C
programs such as printf or malloc. The developers guarantee that glibc is
backwards compatible, which means it includes support for all previous
versions (but obviously not future ones). The glibc version installed on
your system is less recent than the one used by your binaries, which is the
reason why you get the error. The other way round it should work. It is also
very suspicious that some PARSEC binaries run but others don't. The C
library is so fundamental that it is used by all PARSEC programs, so not a
single program should run in your case. You can use the tool `ldd' to check
which libraries a binary links to.

You have the following options:

1a. On the machine that you used to build PARSEC, install a sufficiently old
version of glibc. *DO NOT REPLACE YOUR CURRENT VERSION* because it will make
the entire system unusable. Build a new set of PARSEC binaries that links to
the version of glibc that you just installed.

- OR -

2. On your Simics virtual machine, install a more recent version of glibc
that is used by your PARSEC programs. You should be able to simply replace
the current version, but I would not bet that it'll work. So make a back up
copy of your system image before you do it. If the update fails your virtual
machine might become unusable.

- OR -

3. Create a new virtual machine image that uses a Linux distribution which
already includes a recent version of glibc.

As a brief advice, DO NOT LINK STATICALLY to libc because most modern libc
implementations dynamically load additional parts of the library with libdl
at runtime. If the versions don't match like in your case, the program
starts using incompatible versions of libc which is a sure recipe for
disaster. Unfortunately it is impossible to fully link statically to
reasonably recent versions of libc.

Welcome to shared library hell. :(