[parsec-users] Pthread creation: vips and x264

Vivek Rane vrane at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 14 14:50:01 EDT 2009

I'm trying to track where threads are created in each benchmark so I
can add a magic breakpoint (simics-related). I'm using the
gcc-pthreads configuration.

In x264, this seems to be this method (in the file encoder.c):
static int x264_slices_write( x264_t *h )
For some reason, despite specifying 2 threads, I can see that 8
threads (all with different TIDs) are being created. Is this expected?
I suppose it could be the case that only 2 are active at a time?

In vips, I the only pthread_create call is in this method (in the file
CImg.h):
static void* _events_thread(void *arg)
There is a Windows version of the method too, so I was expecting the
other method will be called for thread creation but this doesn't seem
to be happening. Is there any other place that threads are being
created? A find reveals no other pthread_create calls.

Thanks for your time and help!

--
- Vivek