[parsec-users] Cross Compiling Dedup for Alpha Arch using M5 Simulator

Sun Jul 19 16:34:18 EDT 2009

Hi Ef,

I believe this is another error unrelated to the first one. Dedup tries to
allocate a huge hash table to manage the data chunks from the input data.
You probably simply ran out of memory. Try to tell M5 to allow processes to
allocate more memory and dedup will probably run fine.

- Chris

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of ef
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:22 PM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: Re: [parsec-users] Cross Compiling Dedup for Alpha Arch using M5
Simulator

Hello,

I removed the flag O_LARGEFILE under encoder.c:
 /* src file open if((fd = open(conf->infile, O_RDONLY | O_LARGEFILE)) < 0)
      EXIT_TRACE("%s file open error TEST %s\n", conf->infile,
strerror(errno));

I got this error in M5:
[DataProcess] Memory allocation failed.

It sounds like I need to investigate my compiler and libc versions, as you
suggested.
Thanks,
EF

2009/7/19 Joel Hestness

Hi EF,

  I encountered this in our first iteration of compiling PARSEC.  The
compiler and libc version you are using don't like the O_LARGEFILE flag used
when you open the file in encoder.c (perhaps the large file support is
standard on ALPHA?).  I can't remember if it fixed the problem, but I had
removed the flag in my current code base.  I would suggest trying that
first.  You might need to try a different version of the compiler/libc.

  Good luck,

  Joel

2009/7/19 ef

Hello,
I have cross compiled Dedup for use in M5, however when I run the binary in
M5 I get the following output:

PARSEC Benchmark Suite Version 2.0
[Encode] /parsec/install/inputs/dedup/medias.dat file open error Not a
directory

Not sure where to even start fixing this, anyone have any clue? Any hints or
thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
EF

 Joel Hestness
 PhD Student, Computer Architecture
 Dept. of Computer Science, University of Texas - Austin
 http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~hestness <http://www.cs.utexas.edu/%7Ehestness>