[parsec-users] Zlib build error

Amittai Aviram amittai.aviram at yale.edu
Sat Jun 27 11:01:48 EDT 2009

Hi!  I have been able to run the complete build (parsec -a build)
until I got to zlib, at which point I got this error:

/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
errno: TLS definition in /lib/libc.so.6 section .tbss mismatches non-
TLS reference in libz.a(gzio.o)
/lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [example] Error 1
[PARSEC] Error: 'env /usr/bin/make' failed.

Any idea what this means and what to do about it?  Can I run the
benchmarks using the built-in inputs and default options without
building zlib and without finishing the overall build?

BTW, I also noticed a bunch of messages when the script was building
zlib that don't make sense to me:

[PARSEC] Copying source code of package zlib.
[PARSEC] Running 'env ./configure --prefix=/export/home/afa9/
parsec-2.0/pkgs/libs/zlib/inst/i386-linux.gcc':
Building static library libz.a version 1.2.3 with /usr/bin/gcc.
Checking for unistd.h... No.
Checking whether to use vs[n]printf() or s[n]printf()... using
s[n]printf()
Checking for snprintf() in stdio.h... No.
   WARNING: snprintf() not found, falling back to sprintf(). zlib
   can build but will be open to possible buffer-overflow security
   vulnerabilities.
Checking for return value of sprintf()... No.
   WARNING: apparently sprintf() does not return a value. zlib
   can build but will be open to possible string-format security
   vulnerabilities.
Checking for errno.h... No.
Checking for mmap support... No.
[PARSEC] Running 'env /usr/bin/make':

But of course my system has unistd.h, errno.h, and snprintf in
stdio.h.  And both snprintf and sprintf certainly do return a value
(an int).  Why does the test script say all this?  Thanks!

Amittai Aviram
Graduate Student in Computer Science
Yale University
646 483 2639