[parsec-users] Zlib build error

Sat Jun 27 12:25:35 EDT 2009

Hi Amittai,

You should try to fix those errors yourself. I can't reproduce these errors
so it's difficult for me to give good advice.

TLS usually means "thread local storage". It's possible that your libraries
are incompatible because your system is too old. TLS is fairly new and still
not available everywhere.

The PARSEC framework gives you a lot of freedom concerning which benchmarks
you can run and build. It's best if you read the documentation first, most
of your questions will be answered there. The PARSEC tutorial in particular
deals with a lot of questions concerning practical use.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Amittai
Aviram
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:02 AM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: [parsec-users] Zlib build error

Hi!  I have been able to run the complete build (parsec -a build)
until I got to zlib, at which point I got this error:

/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
errno: TLS definition in /lib/libc.so.6 section .tbss mismatches non-
TLS reference in libz.a(gzio.o)
/lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [example] Error 1
[PARSEC] Error: 'env /usr/bin/make' failed.

Any idea what this means and what to do about it?  Can I run the
benchmarks using the built-in inputs and default options without
building zlib and without finishing the overall build?

BTW, I also noticed a bunch of messages when the script was building
zlib that don't make sense to me:

[PARSEC] Copying source code of package zlib.
[PARSEC] Running 'env ./configure --prefix=/export/home/afa9/
parsec-2.0/pkgs/libs/zlib/inst/i386-linux.gcc':
Building static library libz.a version 1.2.3 with /usr/bin/gcc.
Checking for unistd.h... No.
Checking whether to use vs[n]printf() or s[n]printf()... using
s[n]printf()
Checking for snprintf() in stdio.h... No.
   WARNING: snprintf() not found, falling back to sprintf(). zlib
   can build but will be open to possible buffer-overflow security
   vulnerabilities.
Checking for return value of sprintf()... No.
   WARNING: apparently sprintf() does not return a value. zlib
   can build but will be open to possible string-format security
   vulnerabilities.
Checking for errno.h... No.
Checking for mmap support... No.
[PARSEC] Running 'env /usr/bin/make':

But of course my system has unistd.h, errno.h, and snprintf in
stdio.h.  And both snprintf and sprintf certainly do return a value
(an int).  Why does the test script say all this?  Thanks!

Amittai Aviram
Graduate Student in Computer Science
Yale University
646 483 2639