[parsec-users] streamcluster hangs

Sat Oct 17 09:35:47 EDT 2009

Hi Amittai,

Try applying all the patches for your PARSEC version from our wiki:

    http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/PARSEC

Streamcluster in particular had a bug in an earlier version of PARSEC.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Amittai
Aviram
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:47 AM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: [parsec-users] streamcluster hangs

Hi!

I am finding that streamcluster consistently hangs on my machine right
after printing the output line giving the number of points read.
E.g., for the default input size (small--10 points), and 2 threads, I
get the following:

[After building with -c gcc-pthreads, apparently successfully ...]

afa9 at beacon:~/parsec-2.0-dthreads> parsecmgmt -a run -p streamcluster -
c gcc-pthreads -n 2
[PARSEC] Benchmarks to run:  streamcluster

[PARSEC] [========== Running benchmark streamcluster ==========]
[PARSEC] Deleting old run directory.
[PARSEC] Setting up run directory.
[PARSEC] No archive for input 'test' available, skipping input setup.
[PARSEC] Running 'time /export/home/afa9/parsec-2.0-dthreads/pkgs/
kernels/streamcluster/inst/i386-linux.gcc-pthreads/bin/streamcluster 2
5 1 10 10 5 none output.txt 2':
[PARSEC] [---------- Beginning of output ----------]
PARSEC Benchmark Suite Version 2.0
read 10 points
^C <-------------------------HANGS, HAD TO KILL

I've gotten the same behavior on 16 and 64 threads and on the
"simlarge" input.  If I do not enter a thread number, so that it
defaults to sequential execution, then the program does terminate.

I'm running the benchmarks under 32-bit Open Suse 11 (Linux) on an
Intel (i686) machine.

Any ideas?  Did I miss or forget something from the tutorial or other
documentation?  Thanks!

Amittai Aviram
Graduate Student in Computer Science
Yale University