[parsec-users] Static linkage

Amittai Aviram amittai.aviram at yale.edu
Sat Sep 5 00:39:44 EDT 2009

Has anybody tried building any of the Parsec applications with static
linkage?  I just tried it on Swaptions and got a segmentation fault
when trying to run it.

OS:  openSUSE 11.0 (i586)

MACHTYPE=i686-suse-linux

$ g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../gcc-4.3.2/configure
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.3.2 (GCC)

I get the segmentation fault on both small (-i test) and large (-i
simlarge) inputs and on both 1 and 2 threads.

Outside of Parsec, I know that I can build an application that uses
pthreads, with static linkage, and run it successfully without any
segmentation fault.

I'm just getting started debugging, but wanted to ask first whether
anybody else had any relevant experiences.

Thanks!

Amittai Aviram
Graduate Student in Computer Science
Yale University