[parsec-users] Static linkage

Sat Sep 5 12:28:43 EDT 2009

Hi Amittai,

This is most likely a library issue. Later versions of glibc can't fully
linked statically because it uses libdl to manually load additional parts of
it dynamically at run time, even it has been linked statically. This can
cause bizarre errors if the library versions don't match up. I've written a
little more about that in other posts, just go through the parsec-users
archive and you'll find some more explanations.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Amittai
Aviram
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 12:40 AM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: [parsec-users] Static linkage

Has anybody tried building any of the Parsec applications with static
linkage?  I just tried it on Swaptions and got a segmentation fault
when trying to run it.

OS:  openSUSE 11.0 (i586)

MACHTYPE=i686-suse-linux

$ g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../gcc-4.3.2/configure
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.3.2 (GCC)

I get the segmentation fault on both small (-i test) and large (-i
simlarge) inputs and on both 1 and 2 threads.

Outside of Parsec, I know that I can build an application that uses
pthreads, with static linkage, and run it successfully without any
segmentation fault.

I'm just getting started debugging, but wanted to ask first whether
anybody else had any relevant experiences.

Thanks!

Amittai Aviram
Graduate Student in Computer Science
Yale University