[parsec-users] [DataProcess] Memory allocation failed.

Fri Apr 16 13:37:09 EDT 2010

Hi Kishore,

You cannot address more than 4 GB on a 32-bit machine because 4 GB = 2^32.
In practice the amount of usable memory is even lower because the OS also
occupies some. So there is no way to make full use of the 16 GB you have
without upgrading the machine to 64-bit.

From: kishore kumar [mailto:kishoreguptaos at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:33 PM
To: PARSEC Users
Cc: cbienia at CS.Princeton.EDU
Subject: Re: [parsec-users] [DataProcess] Memory allocation failed.

Hi Chris,
Thank you very much for the information. The machine is 32-bit but the main
memory is 16GB. The system contains: 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  X5365  @
3.00GHz (2 Quad-core processors).

Thank you.

Best,
Kishore Kumar Pusukuri
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~kishore

2010/4/16 Christian Bienia <cbienia at cs.princeton.edu>

Hi Kishore,

The size of the data structures are fine, the issue is that you run out of
memory on your machine. Are you running dedup on a 32-bit machine? Or do you
maybe have only 4GB or less of memory installed?

Unfortunately there's little you can do about that error. It is a
memory-intensive program. We're working on a new version which should be
more economical, but it'll be a while until it's ready.

- Chris