[parsec-users] Looking for Windows Users

Jim Dempsey jim at quickthreadprogramming.com
Tue Jan 19 19:32:46 EST 2010

I have two of the demos converted now, Black-Scholes and Body Tracking.
Today I got some time on a Dell R610 with 2x Xeon 5570 processors.
Chart including Body Tracking (compared to other processors immediately
below, then followed by revised [HOOKS] output per prior email. If anyone
wishes to comment on formatting of output please reply.

Also, I am interested if someone has a 4P and/or 8P server with some idel
time on it for running these benchmarks.

Jim Dempsey

First run data on Dell R610 (2x Xeon 5570)

Makes the P4 540 rather weak. (When I bought this system it was a
top-of-the-line desktop).

Tomorrow I may spend some time tuning the benchmark program for use on this
system.
Also, Eduardo is going to check the BIOS to make sure NUMA is enabled.

Also have some of the Black-Scholes data (incomplete) no charts yet.

Pthread with 16 threads on Dell R610
C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\parsec-2.1\pkgs\apps\blackscholes\src>x64\R
elea
se\blackscholes 16
C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\parsec-2.1\pkgs\apps\blacksc
holes\inputs\input_native\in_10M.txt results.txt 100
PARSEC Benchmark Suite
[HOOKS] PARSEC Hooks Version 1.2
Num of Options: 10000000
Num of Runs: 100
Size of data: 400000000
[HOOKS] Entering ROI
[HOOKS] Leaving ROI
[HOOKS] Total time spent prior to ROI:   33.336s
[HOOKS] Total time spent in ROI:         8.719s
[HOOKS] Total time spent following ROI:  8.556s
[HOOKS] Total time spent in application: 50.611s
[HOOKS] Terminating

C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\parsec-2.1\pkgs\apps\blackscholes\src>bsqt
100

QuickThread with 16 threads on Dell R610
C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\parsec-2.1\pkgs\apps\blackscholes\src>x64\R
elea
se\blackscholes.QuickThread 16
C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\parsec-2.1\pkgs\
apps\blackscholes\inputs\input_native\in_10M.txt results.txt 100
PARSEC Benchmark Suite
[HOOKS] PARSEC Hooks Version 1.2
Num of Options: 10000000
Num of Runs: 100
Size of data: 400000000
[HOOKS] Entering ROI
[HOOKS] Leaving ROI
[HOOKS] Total time spent prior to ROI:   4.399s
[HOOKS] Total time spent in ROI:         8.718s
[HOOKS] Total time spent following ROI:  1.475s
[HOOKS] Total time spent in application: 14.592s
[HOOKS] Terminating

The ROI time for QuickThread and Pthreads is nearly identical. This is why I
want Eduardo to check the BIOS NUMA settings. QuickThread should have a NUMA
advantage over this implementation in Pthreads.

Look at the I/O performance of QuickThread vs. the Pthread version (someone
needs to work on the I/O for the other threading models).

Jim

  _____