[parsec-users] Simulation time of "facesim" and "vips"

Muhammad abid Mughal mabidm_pieas at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 01:34:49 EDT 2010

Hi Jim Dempsey,
                         Thanks for quick response.
I have already successfully run "facesim" and "vips" using "parsecmgmt -a run -p vips -c gcc-hooks -i simsmall -n 8 -x pre-simics" command on
    my real sun machine  and simulated machine inside simics (ie functonal simulation).In addition, i disabled all SMF services of solaris 10 inside my
simulated machine so that these services don't interfere with my PARSEC benchmark.

As far as i understand your response you are asking me to Optimize I/O of "facesim" and "vips" using actual and virtual time.

My simulated machine is 8-chip distributed shared memory machine and i am working on prefetching/memory streaming using Hardware Prefecher.
I am confused because i was planning to run simulations using "simmedium" data set but i would not be possible because of simulation speed.

I am wondering if i increase number of threads for facesim and vips to finish simulation quickly. Any more suggestion.

Regards,
Muhammad abid