[parsec-users] Questions about provided binaries (dedup & freqmine)

Junjie Wu wujj at umich.edu
Tue Jun 1 19:50:18 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I successfully compiled and ran all the cases natively under x86, but
I'm now using SIMICS to simulate a sparc structure with solaris 10. The
uname -a information:
SunOS abisko 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

I don't want to manually compile everything inside the simulator, and I
don't have a sparc machine either. Therefore, I downloaded the provided
binary from the website. I use parsecmgmt to run my test (bin/parsecmgmt

I have following problems:

Dedup:
[HOOKS] PARSEC Hooks Version 1.2
[DataProcess] Memory allocation failed.

The simulated machine has 2GB memory. Is that enough? I didn't have this
problem when running dedup under x86 (compiled myself).

Freqmine:
Based on my experience working with x86, I'm pretty sure the provided
gcc-hooks binary is not a parallel one. The speedups I got was always
1.00xx, no matter how many threads I was using. The default gcc-hooks
config calls openmp config, but that openmp config never specifies the
-fopenmp flag. I also got confirmation from someone else running the
provided sparc-solaris binaries. It's trivial to resolve the issue, but
since I can't recompile it in simulator, I want to request an update on
the official binary. I don't think a serial gcc-hooks version is
intended. Just for anyone interested:
add:
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fopenmp"
CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS} -fopenmp"
to pkgs/apps/freqmine/parsec/gcc-hooks.bldconf will do the trick. Though
this might not be a nice way.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the two problems.

Regards,
Junjie Wu