[parsec-users] Questions about provided binaries (dedup & freqmine)

Jim Dempsey jim at quickthreadprogramming.com
Wed Jun 2 08:24:41 EDT 2010

Wu,

The hooks calls are made from within the serial regions of your application.
And they make no thread library calls. Therefore they need not be compiled
with OpenMP (or pthreads, etc...).

As for memory requirements, what did you observe as the consumption running
natively on x86? The fact that a program runs on a 2GB system does not mean
it requires .le. 2GB. The x86 native run have virtual memory demands that
exceed 2GB while the simulated machine might not have simulated virtual
memory. Also check the default stack size inside your virtual machine
environment. If the stack size is excessively large then you might be able
to reclaim some simulated RAM by reducing the stack size within the
simulated OpenMP environment.

Another option you have is to simulate a system with 3GB, 4GB,... RAM. If
your host machine has 2GB physical you should be able to simulate the larger
virtual system while having your native virtual memory perform paging. This
may not be as bad as it sounds. Since, for example, if your simulation
progresses at 1/100th native rate, the paging that occurs (hidden from the
simulation system) would occur at 100x what the virtual clock time sees.

Jim Dempsey