[parsec-users] Output for raytrace

Wed Jun 2 13:51:58 EDT 2010

Hi Matt,

Adding support wouldn't be that hard for somebody who is familiar with
graphics code. As you can see if you run raytrace with a display the program
already computes the complete image, adding file output is as simple as (1)
reading the image data from the frame buffer, (2) converting it into a
proper file format and (3) writing it to disk.

You can have a look at the window display code to get an idea for step #1,
for step #2 your best choice is probably a simple format like BMP or PNG,
and step #3 really is COS101. If you use an image library for step #2 you
should have very little work. Take a look at bodytrack which does exactly
what you want to do for raytrace and has its own BMP image library which you
can use to write the output images. Alternatively you can make use of
libpng, it's open source and should be standard on every system.

So as you can see the only challenge really is to figure out where exactly
raytrace stores its image data and making the correct function calls to get
the output image. Unfortunately my knowledge of graphics processing is
limited so that's about as much help as I can offer. If you have any general
questions please let me know, I'm happy to help where I can. If you have
working image output code I'd be happy to add it to the official PARSEC code
base, this seems to be something many people are interested in.