[parsec-users] fluidanimate

Jim Dempsey jim at quickthreadprogramming.com
Thu Jun 10 21:15:29 EDT 2010

Kishore,

I made a change to the partitioning scheme in the QuickThread version. I can
partition to any number of threads.
I also made a change to the fluidview which may be of interests to others.
The code computes the min, max and average level of the fluid in the column,
then colorizes by delta from average. This highlights the image so you can
observe the activity.

The colorization needs a little workbut at least this is a starting point
I sent a copy of these into Christian for possible inclusion into the next
release of PARSEC.
Hopefully by then I will have a demo licensed version of QuickThread for
release with PARSEC (subject to approval of cs.princeton.edu).

I thought the original version of fluidanimate was too restrictive to
support partitioning in powers of 2.
AMD and Intel have processors that are not power of 2 cores/threads (3, 6,
12) so the partitioning code should be generalized.

If you want, I can send you a copy of the fluidanimateQuickThread.cpp and
you can easily adapt it back to using pthreads.
Or, if you want I can send a beta demo copy of QuickThread library (tested
on Ubuntu 10.0 x64 and g++ 4.4 and g++ 4.5).

Jim Dempsey
jim at quickthreadprogramming.com
www.quickthreadprogramming.com

  _____