[parsec-users] Simics commands for simulating blackscholes

Muhammad abid Mughal mabidm_pieas at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 04:47:41 EDT 2010

hi,
     We perform detailed simulation for ROI.
1) what you have to do is that fast-forward simulation until the begining of ROI(i  assume u have compiled ur workload using MAGIC_BREAKPOINT and using GEMS simulator)
     a) start simics    ./simics
       then at simics prompt type
       simics>magic-break-enable
        simics>c
     b)now you can run PARSEC benchmark
     c)simics will stop execution when it executes magic inst.
     d)now write checkpoint using "write-configuration"

  this is known as "Cold checkpoint".

2)warming up caches
 #read cold checkpoint
 read-configuration  coldcheckpoint_filename
# enable IFETCH
instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace
#Disable simulator translation caches
istc-disable
dstc-disable

# always use 1 for better parallelism
@conf.sim.cpu_switch_time = 1
# sync CPUs after changing switch time
@run("c %d"%(old_switch_time))
# enable breakpoint
magic-break-enable
#load timing model
load-module ruby
ruby0.init
#start simulation
c 1
ruby0.tracer-output-file "/mnt/sdc1/abid/eight-cores/simics-3.x/rmsworkloads/warm_tracer-output-file/ruby/blackscholes-simsmall.warmup"
c 10000000
write-configuration /mnt/sdc1/abid/eight-cores/simics-3.x/rmsworkloads/warm_tracer-output-file/blackscholes-simsmall.check

now this is known as "Warm checkpoint"

c)measurement
  #read cold checkpoint
 read-configuration  warmcheckpoint_filename
# enable IFETCH
instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace
#Disable simulator translation caches
istc-disable
dstc-disable

# always use 1 for better parallelism
@conf.sim.cpu_switch_time = 1
# sync CPUs after changing switch time
@run("c %d"%(old_switch_time))
# enable breakpoint
magic-break-enable
#load timing model
load-module ruby
ruby0.init
ruby0.load-caches filename_writtenby_ruby0.tracer-output-file_command_during_warmup
ruby0.dump-stats  filename

Muhammad abid