[parsec-users] PARSEC 2.1 with m5 - segfault!

Bhushan mohan at cs.virginia.edu
Wed Mar 24 15:02:16 EDT 2010

Hi,
I'm a newbie to m5 and trying to run PARSEC 2.1on m5 under alpha in full
system mode. First, I would like to thank people in UT Austin for publishing
a tech report on this, it was very helpful.
Now coming to the issue, even though I was able to boot the kernel in m5,
when I try to run the any application in parsec suite, the app segfaults.
Here are some more details:
# ./build/ALPHA_FS/m5.opt ./configs/example/fs.py -n 1 --detailed --caches
--l2cache
and once the kernel boots, I do (as was  mentioned in the tech report):
/parsec/install/bin/blackscholes 64
/parsec/install/inputs/blackscholes/in_64K.txt
/parsec/install/inputs/blackscholes/prices.txt
This segfaults.
The stack trace after crash looks like this:
#0  0x0000000120016d8c in __libc_message ()
#1  0x000000012001714c in __libc_fatal ()
#2  0x000000012000c9cc in __libc_start_main ()
#3  0x0000000120000218 in _start ()

This happens with all other applications in parsec suite. However, a simple
hello world program does run correctly.
My guess is there are some library incompatibilities which causes this
crash.
I used the kernel available in the m5 website (
http://www.m5sim.org/wiki/index.php/Download) under the Full System files
section. I used the disk image from the UT Austin website (
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~parsec_m5/linux-parsec-2-1-m5-with-test-inputs.img.bz2<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/%7Eparsec_m5/linux-parsec-2-1-m5-with-test-inputs.img.bz2>)
for the parsec suite.

So how do I go about fixing this and make PARSEC 2.1 work correctly with m5?

Bhushan