[parsec-users] StreamCluster and Cygwin

Paul Keir pkeir at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 11:39:55 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm running Parsec 2.1 under cygwin on Windows XP (I know). I'm pleased to say it was pretty easy to get things running. Cygwin doesn't identify itself very well, so first of all I need a windows.sysconf in the config dir:

$ cp linux.sysconf windows.sysconf

Then I edit gcc.bldconf. Just after the comment line:
# Linux + default case
I comment out the export of CC_HOME and BINUTIL_HOME, and set them instead to:

export CC_HOME="/usr"
export BINUTIL_HOME="/usr"

One general problem I came across was in streamcluster. If I do a gcc-serial build, it complains about a missing pthread_barrier_t. It looks like in streamcluster.cpp, although the executable code relating to pthreads are surrounded by #ifdef ENABLE_THREADS, there are pthread related declarations which are not. To avoid this I removed the ENABLE_THREADS guard at the top of streamcluster.cpp:

#ifdef ENABLE_THREADS
#include <pthread.h>
#include "parsec_barrier.hpp"
#endif

One final mini-question, is there an easy way to use the "make -j n" idiom to help reduce build times?

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Paul