[parsec-users] ferret

Wed Mar 31 12:51:00 EDT 2010

Hi Jim,

We're not using the OpenMP parallelizaton of LSH in ferret. We only have the
pthreads parallelization, and the LSH seems to be very different and will
not cover the entire runtime. I'm not even sure whether it's functional. In
general I would not mix both parallelization models, that seems to be a
recipe for trouble.

To answer your questions:

1) When you compile for ferret-serial, is LSH to be compiled with or without
parallelization?

LSH is always to be compiled without parallelization

2) When you compile for ferret-parallel (using pthreads), is LSH to be
compiled with or without parallelization?

LSH is always to be compiled without parallelization

Can PARSEC applicaitons (ferret) be compiled to use both Pthreads and
OpenMP?

Some applications support both pthreads and OpenMP and can be compiled to
use either one, but not both at the same time.

- Chris

1) When you compile for ferret-serial, is LSH to be compiled with or without
parallelization? IOW

   LSH to be non-threaded and ferret-serial being non-threaded.

   LSH to be OpenMP threaded and ferret-serial being non-threaded

2) When you compile for ferret-parallel (using pthreads), is LSH to be
compiled with or without parallelization? IOW

    LSH to be non-threaded with ferret-parallel using pthreads

    LSH to be OpenMP threaded ferret-parallel using pthreads

Jim Dempsey