[parsec-users] local config file becomes global?

Mon May 3 11:03:25 EDT 2010

Hi Diego,

CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are global variables, just like most other variables. If
you want to modify the environment so that it is only valid for that
particular package you need to add the variable assignments to the build_env
variable. The build_env string is given to the `env' command, which runs a
program in a modified environment but does not change the global
environment.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Diego
Huang
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 12:17 AM
To: parsec-users at lists.cs.princeton.edu
Subject: [parsec-users] local config file becomes global?

Hi,

I've made changes to a benchmark-local config file, but the changes
seem to also be used (incorrectly) for the benchmarks that build after
that one. Shouldn't changes to the benchmark-local config file only
apply to that one benchmark? Is this a bug in the build system?

For example, I created a new configuration by doing
bldconfadd -n gcc-prof -s gcc-serial
And then, in the local config file of the facesim benchmark
(~/parsec-2.1/pkgs/apps/facesim/parsec/gcc-prof.bldconf) I append to
CFLAGS:
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -include stdlib.h"
CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS} -include stdlib.h"
(I need to include stdlib.h due to the missing function declaration
for the exit function)

I noticed that the benchmarks that compile after facesim will also
have "-include stdlib.h" in the command line, which causes problems
with mesa because it uses gcc on assembler files.

Is this a bug in the build system or a user error? Shouldn't CFLAGS
reset to the one in the global config file after building each
benchmark?

Thanks,

Diego