[parsec-users] Simulation time of "facesim" and "vips"

Jim Dempsey jim at quickthreadprogramming.com
Mon May 31 23:39:56 EDT 2010

Muhammad,

Have you verified first that your configuration runs well in native mode on
an x86 processor? This is to make sure your input data and command line
arguments are correct. And will give you a base line measurement for a given
processor model.

The next thing to do is look at the major loop in facesim to see if you can
instrument that in native mode. e.g. on the native mode run, use RDTSC (or
other high precision timer) and record the time intervals for each iteration
of the major loop. After you have this collection of times (convert to
seconds) then recode to use a virtual timer in your simulation mode, however
also modify the simulator such that you get progress information such as the
virtual time elapsed .AND. the actual time elapsed at each major loop
interval. Now then instead of running simulation to end of benchmark
program, you can run the simulation for as many iterations as you deem
practical and which provides the timing information you want.

Also, while you are adding your RDTSC insturmentation, measure the time for
each file I/O. Then you can use this data to normalize the I/O within the
simulator.

Jim Dempsey

  _____