[parsec-users] Instructions for compiling parsec 2.1 core on Ubuntu maverick meerkat

Floris Van den Abeele floris.vandenabeele at ugent.be
Tue Nov 16 12:06:31 EST 2010

Hi,

I've downloaded the parsec 2.1 core source code and build it on my Ubuntu
10.10 amd64 machine.
I've came across a few issues while building the parsec core and would like
to document them here in case anyone might ever try the same.
I'm running standard "gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu5) 4.4.5" and the
default maverick "2.6.35-22-generic" linux kernel.

First you should open config/gcc.bldconf and edit the following line to
wherever your compiler is located:
export CC_HOME="/n/fs/parsec/local/gcc-4.4.0-static
Running default Ubuntu this line becomes:
export CC_HOME="/usr/"

In gcc.bldconf you should also add -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 to CFLAGS, otherwise
you'll get this error:
error: call to '__open_missing_mode' declared with attribute error: open
with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments.
For more information refer to the ubuntu compiler specific flags located at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilerFlags.
My CFLAGS is equal to:
export CFLAGS="-O3 -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays
${PORTABILITY_FLAGS} -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0"

Finally, there are two errors in the version of openssl that is included
with parsec2.1, the error only applies when you compile for amd64 because
it's located in some amd64 specific assembler code(for sha1 and md5).
The two errors are documented here:
http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?user=guest&pass=guest&id=2095
<http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?user=guest&pass=guest&id=2095>
http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=2094&user=guest&pass=guest
<http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=2094&user=guest&pass=guest>To
fix them you should apply the patches supplied in the url above to
/home/floris/Downloads/parsec-2.1/pkgs/libs/ssl/src/crypto/md5/asm/
sha1-x86_64.pl
and
/home/floris/Downloads/parsec-2.1/pkgs/libs/ssl/src/crypto/sha/asm/
sha1-x86_64.pl
respectively.

After applying the three changes that I've documented here and installing
some development header packages I managed to build parsec 2.1
core successfully!

Regards,
Floris Van den Abeele