[parsec-users] Using Pthreadw

Tue Nov 30 02:11:17 EST 2010

Hi Anusha,

The issue is exactly as described. You can check what symbols your pthread
library exports and whether there are any special functions that pthreadw
can fall back to. Chances are they're there but just use a different name
(so pthreadw doesn't automatically recognize them) because it's undocumented
functionality. Other than that there's not much else other than adding
dedicated locking functionality to pthreadw to break the dependency cycle.
No matter what you should expect to do some digging in the source code to
fix this.

From: parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu
[mailto:parsec-users-bounces at lists.cs.princeton.edu] On Behalf Of Anusha
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 4:51 PM
To: PARSEC Users
Subject: Re: [parsec-users] Using Pthreadw

Hi Chris,

I get the following error when I run the swaptions benchmark with pthreadw

This error was caused during library initialization and is the consequence
of a library dependency cycle. The pthread profiling library uses mangled
pthread symbols during its initialization to provide functionality required
by other libraries, however in the case of 'pthread_mutex_lock' no such
symbol was found.

This could be the result of incorrect symbol mangling, but it might also be
that the pthread library on this system does not have a mangled symbol for
'pthread_mutex_lock', in which case it is not possible to profile that
function on this system with the current combination of libraries. Please
inform the maintainer cbienia at users.sourceforge.net.

- When I ran the bodytrack benchmark with pthreadw, the number of threads is
two more than the number of threads that I specify.

- When I ran the vips benchmark, the number of threads is three more than
the number of threads that I specify.

-Anusha