[parsec-users] Question about # of threads for ferret-parallel

Matt Sinclair msinclair at wisc.edu
Wed Feb 9 16:46:35 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a question on the default run parameters for ferret.  I can see
from the ferret-parallel.c program that several of the stages take
their number of threads from the input parameters (parameter #6 to be
specific).  However, in running the default tests:

parsecmgmt -a run -p ferret -c gcc-pthreads -i [test, native]

I see that parameter #6 is always set to 1 (for test and native at
least), which implies to me that the number of threads in the default
tests is always 1.  I realize that you can change this on the command
line with the -n option, but I was wondering if this was intentional?
If so, is it written somewhere what a good "range" of threads for
ferret is?  Thanks again for the help!

Regards,
Matt Sinclair
University of Wisconsin-Madison