[parsec-users] running parsec on Opteron

Joseph Greathouse jlgreath at umich.edu
Fri Jun 10 15:23:20 EDT 2011

You appear to be running simlarge in this case, which will end quickly
on any relatively modern computer. If this is the case, top might not
even update the screen past 100% before the process ends, instead
showing the CPU usage for the setup time.

Have you tried running this with the native input size using:
./x264 --quiet --qp 20 --partitions b8x8,i4x4 --ref 5 --direct auto
--b-pyramid --weightb --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --me umh --subme 7
--analyse b8x8,i4x4 --threads 4 -o eledream.264
/z/jlgreath/parsec-2.1/pkgs/apps/x264/inputs/eledream_1920x1080_512.y4m

This may cause the benchmark to take long enough that top shows the
CPU usage you're expecting.

Also, how are you compiling this benchmark? Are you using GCC?

-Joe