[parsec-users] PARSEC indeterminism and Prefetching

Muhammad abid Mughal mabidm_pieas at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 22:24:54 EDT 2011

hi guys,
           Hope you all doing good.I am working on data prefetching of  PARSEC
applications.I calculated the opportunity i.e. Max. number of misses that can be
removed from base system , for PARSEC  on my base system.Then i ran some
experiments using enhanced system i.e. system having prefetcher
 and found that number of misses removed were greater than Opportunity which is
not possible.This is all happening because of indeterminism in PARSEC
applications.I see that base system and enhanced one have different instruction
counts.Running the same simulation multiple times(and getting average) with
enhanced system is not feasible .Even then the average of misses(removed in
enhanced system)  across multiple simulations of enhanced would not be less than
Opportunity calculated using Base system(This is my guess because Opportunity is
65% whereas enhanced system tells 84%.)

Hope to see response from someone.
Thanks

Regards,