[parsec-users] PARSEC indeterminism and Prefetching

Mark Roth mroth at sfu.ca
Mon May 9 01:39:54 EDT 2011

How much do the instruction counts differ? I think you would expect to
see some level of difference in instruction counts with different
system set ups depending on the amount of contention. Competing for
locks, spin waiting, etc. will all lead to an increase in the total
number of instructions retired.

Having the pre-fetcher turned off could be lowering the amount of
contention in the system.

I would suggest investigating further with a single application with a
smaller input set.

- Mark