[parsec-users] freqmine: segmentation fault on simlarge input

Amittai Aviram amittai.aviram at yale.edu
Tue May 15 03:55:21 EDT 2012

Hi!  I am getting a segmentation fault when running freqmine with any number of threads (I have tried 1, 2, 4, and 8), using the "simlarge" input (kosarek_990k.dat).  The problem occurs consistently in FP_tree::FP_growth_first, in file fp_tree.cpp, line 1312:

/* Lines 1311-1312: */
        for (int k = 0; k < hot_node_num; k ++)
                hashtable[0][k] = NULL;

The segmentation fault seems to occur when k == 1, and it seems to occur in the master thread (or at least occurs in that thread first on my system).  I have tried to do more investigations and experiments, but, so far, I have not found a solution.

Oddly, freqmine runs fine with the even larger "native" input.

I am running PARSEC on Ubuntu-linux x86_64 (server), kernel 2.6.32, on a 12-core AMD machine.  I left the compilation defaults intact in parsegmgmt, so it's using g++, which is version 4.4.3.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?  Thanks!

Amittai Aviram
PhD Student in Computer Science
Yale University
646 483 2639