[parsec-users] Fwd: Swaptions communication

Siddharth Nilakantan sid.nil at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 19:56:32 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I've been running some multi-core simulations with Swaptions and I've
noticed that there is thread communication. From looking at the source code
for swaptions, there should be no communication, as all threads work on
independent data. Hence, the lack of synchronization primitives as well.

I ran simmedium (32 swaptions), 16 threads and 8 cores. It should divide up
evenly and there should be no communication at all. These guys also find
that swaptions has communication:
http://parsec.cs.princeton.edu/publications/barrow-williams09comm.pdf

Can anyone explain to me why Swaptions exhibits communication?

Regards,
Siddharth Nilakantan