[sndtools] rt_lpc question...

Ananya Misra amisra at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Oct 2 17:27:22 EDT 2006

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your interest. Here are some answers:

> What does 'ola' stand for? Is this the input file perhaps?

It stands for "overlap-add". If you start rt_lpc with "--ola0", it does
not do overlap adding on the synthesized buffers, and if you start with
"--ola1", it does. So the final result sounds different.

> 2. Does rt_lpc convert files from one format into an LPC encoded byte
> stream?

At the moment, it only works with real-time audio input and output, so no
files. It performs LPC analysis on the mic input and then plays back a
synthesized version of the sound almost immediately. We wrote it mostly as
a pedagogical + visualization tool. But the source also includes a modular
LPC library with analyze and synthesize functions that you could maybe
reuse for your purpose.

Hope this helps.

-Ananya