[sndtools] Compiling rt_lpc [OSX]

Dan Stowell dan.stowell at elec.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Oct 11 05:48:36 EDT 2006

Hi Ge and Ananya -

Thanks for your responses. I've attached the text of a fairly simple gdb
session.

Re the input/output: I was originally using simply system mic input and
system output. I discovered I can get it to work using an OSX "aggregate
device" (consisting of all the system inputs/outputs) as the input and
output. But any other combination, e.g. using the aggregate device as
the input and the system output as the output, causes exactly the same
crash. Looks like it's something to do with your RtAudio hacks?

Thanks
Dan

Ge Wang wrote:
> Hi (again) Dan!
>
> Taking a quick look through the code, I'd guess it may be a
> combination of compiling on osx-intel (which we've never done for
> rt_lpc) and possibly some earlier hacks I put into RtAudio (a much
> older version is included with rt_lpc) to compensate for when the
> input and output audio devices are different in the function where
> the crash occurred.  Two things to check are what audio devices are
> used for input and output, and also how many channels are being
> opened.  If you haven't yet, try running rt_lpc with mic-in as the
> input, and built-in audio as the output, and see if it still
> crashes.  If the crash persists, then that debug gdb log might be our
> next focus.
>
> There is an upcoming release of sndpeek + rt_lpc, and we'll do our
> best to ensure things work properly on osx-intel.
>
> Best,
> Ge!
>
> On Oct 10, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Ananya Misra wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan!
>>
>> If you still have this problem (you mean it didn't go away by
>> itself?!),
>> I'm not quite sure why it happens. Maybe you could try sending us a
>> detailed gdb log in case it has more information?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Ananya
>>

>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Dan Stowell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> rt_lpc looks really interesting. I'm trying to compile it on an
>>> (Intel) Mac.
>>>
>>> The compiled version from your website works fine, but I'm trying to
>>> compile it so I can start to do other things with it. If I run
>>> "make -f
>>> makefile.osx" it seems to compile OK, but then when I run "./
>>> rt_lpc" the
>>> following happens:
>>>
>>> 1) The window appears, with OpenGL lines drawn. They're completely
>>> flat
>>> (as if sound input thread not running?)
>>>
>>> 2) After about a second, the window disappears, and the app crashes
>>> leaving the message "Bus error" on the terminal.
>>>
>>> Can you offer any hints about why this might be happening? An excerpt
>>> from the crash log follows:
>>>

>>> Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
>>> Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
>>>
>>> Thread 2 Crashed:
>>> 0   rt_lpc                    	0x0000a173
>>> RtApi::convertStreamBuffer(RtApi::StreamMode) + 3343
>>> 1   rt_lpc                    	0x0000b968
>>> RtApiCore::callbackEvent(unsigned long, void*, void*) + 1094
>>> 2   rt_lpc                    	0x0000bd9f callbackHandler(unsigned
>>> long,
>>> AudioTimeStamp const*, AudioBufferList const*, AudioTimeStamp const*,
>>> AudioBufferList*, AudioTimeStamp const*, void*) + 47
>>> 3   com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 	0x91471912 HP_IOProc::Call
>>> (AudioTimeStamp
>>> const&, AudioTimeStamp const&, AudioBufferList const*, AudioTimeStamp
>>> const&, AudioBufferList*) + 240
>>> 4   com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 	0x91470e4e
>>> IOA_Device::CallIOProcs(AudioTimeStamp const&, AudioTimeStamp const&,
>>> AudioTimeStamp const&) + 274
>>> 5   com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 	0x91470bd9
>>> HP_IOThread::PerformIO(AudioTimeStamp const&) + 1299
>>> 6   com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 	0x9146f001 HP_IOThread::WorkLoop()
>>> + 953
>>> 7   com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 	0x9146ec43
>>> HP_IOThread::ThreadEntry(HP_IOThread*) + 17

http://www.mcld.co.uk/