[talks] talk by Yoav Freund -- Friday, 7/14, 2:30, 402 CS

Robert Schapire schapire at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 11 12:50:24 EDT 2006

  Yoav Freund will be giving a talk this Friday, July 14 at 2:30pm in
room 402 of the CS building.  Title and abstract follow below.

Title:   Using adaptive computer vision to analyze biomedical images
Speaker: Yoav Freund
         Computer Science and Engineering, University of California, San
Diego
         http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/~yfreund
Date:    Friday, July 14, 2:30pm
Place:   Room 402, CS building
Host:    Rob Schapire

Abstract:

    The rapid advancement of biomedical imaging techniques such as
    fluorescence microscopy, non-linear optics, MRI and ultra-sound make
    it now possible to observe the time evolution of mechanical and
    biochemical processes in cells and in the human body at a resolution
    unimaginable a decade ago. This ability to measure opens up an
    incredible range of new possibilities for research in biology and in
    medicine.  However, a major challenge along the way is the
    formidable amount of manual work required to extract meaningful
    quantitative results from the enormous amounts of collected image data.

    I suggest a combination of computer vision and machine learning
    techniques to tackle such problems. In this talk I describe some of
    my current work applying these ideas in several projects:

           1. The study of the dynamics of lamellipodia in spreading cells.
           2. The study of regulatory networks in the development of
              drosophila  embryos.
           3. Detection of protein micro-crystals for X-ray crystalography.
           4. Detection and grading of prostate cancer using microscope
              images  of biopsies.

    I will conclude with some of the lessons I have learned from these
    projects and some words on my current approach to automating image
    analysis tasks.

Princeton University
Department of Computer Science
35 Olden Street
Princeton, NJ  08540  USA

tel: +1 609 258 7726   fax: +1 609 258 1771
Computer Science Building, Room 407

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~schapire
schapire at cs.princeton.edu