[talks] Wed Jun 14 10:30am talk on overlay networks

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jun 13 20:50:13 EDT 2006

Reminder...

TALK ANNOUNCEMENT

Speaker: Professor John Chi-Shing Lui, Chinese University of Hong Kong
Title: On the Interaction of Multiple Overlay Routing
Date/time: 10:30am-11:30am on Wednesday June 14
Location: room 105 in the CS building (i.e., the small auditorium)

Abstract:

In the past few years, overlay networks have received much attention but
there has been little study on the ``interaction'' of
multiple, co-existing overlays on top of a physical network.
In addition to previously introduced concept of overlay routing
strategy such as the selfish routing, we
introduce a new strategy called ``overlay optimal routing''.
Under this routing policy, the overlay seeks to minimize its
weighted average delay by splitting its traffic onto multiple paths.
We establish that
(i) the overlay optimal routing can achieve better delay
compared to selfish routing, and
(ii) there exists a Nash equilibrium when multiple overlays adopt this
strategy.
Although an equilibrium point exists for overlay optimal routing and
possibly for selfish routing, we show that the interaction
of multiple overlay routing may not be Pareto optimal and
that some fairness anomalies of resource allocation may occur.
This is worthy of attention since overlay may not know the
existence of other overlays and they will continue to
operate at this sub-optimal point.  We explore two pricing schemes
to resolve the above issues.  We show that by incorporating a
proper pricing scheme, the overlay routing game can be led
to the desired equilibrium and avoid the problems mentioned above.
Extensive fluid-based simulations are performed to support the
theoretical claims.

The collaborators of this work include Joe W.J. Jiang and Dah-Ming Chiu.

Bio:

John Chi-Shing Lui was born in Hong Kong. He received his Ph.d.
in Computer Science from UCLA. After his graduation,
he joined the IBM Almaden Research Laboratory/San Jose Laboratory
and participated in various R&D projects on file systems and
parallel I/O architectures. He later joined
the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at
the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
His research interests span both in system and in theory/mathematics,
with current research interests in theoretic/applied topics in
data networks, distributed multimedia systems, network security,
OS design issues and mathematical optimization and performance
evaluation theory. John's personal interests include films and
general reading.